Thursday, May 21, 2009

Remember Senior Year? Life Changes Quick!

With so many of my close friends and family members' children graduating this year, it took me back to my Senior year. I thought I was GROWN. You could not tell me NOTHING! Last week my fiance's daughter went to the prom. She looked beautiful. All dolled up. But there was one difference, no dates. Stag is in style. The BFF's went together looking like a million bucks. Her father proudly placed the corsage on her wrist and he was as proud as a Peacock. I remembered when I went to the prom. I wished my Dad was there to see me off. My date was arguably the finest guy there and all I wanted to do was go be a man 9 years my senior. :( Anyway, all this has me thinking of all the fun and excitement I had back then. Seems like yesterday, but actually it was almost twenty years ago. Looking for material for the dress, shoes, jewelry, and you know the Feather was Bangin'! Times have changed, people are spending thousands of dollars on Proms and renting hotel rooms for there children. I guess it's because this is the closest most girls will come to a wedding? Sad, but true. Do the parents who spend this ridiculous sum of cash on a prom spend equal cash on tutors, trips abroad or college prep-courses? Probably not because we live in a world of appearances. As long as we look good, then it's all good. I hope it all works out. All the money my mother spent on the festivities, I didn't get my CapNGown until two days before graduation. And some of these kids going to prom are not graduating or going to college. Where do you go when you don't seek an education in 2009. HELL, the military won't even take you. I went on a US tour after graduation. I roamed the USA in search of LOVE, FUN, AND CASH! Had lots of Fun, found and lost LOVES and wasted ALL the CASH! My Senior year was exciting. I had all these hopes and dreams of what I thought my life would be. Boy was I naive. Life is rough. You only get what you put into it. Hard work and perseverance pay off. The best advice I can give to a young person is enjoy this last hooray because real life comes fast and furious and it does not give refunds or exchanges. Once you buy it you keep it!

No comments:

Post a Comment